There You Have It
I have shows this week—in Montgomery Thursday Nov 10 with Willie Sugarcapps! Friday Nov 11 in Jackson with Mac McAnally! Saturday Nov 12 in Hattiesburg with Matt Hoggatt! Sunday Nov 13 in Bay St Louis with Cary Hudson and Lynn Drury! Damn I have some talented friends and we are going to make some great music and spread some joy and soul!
It is done.
Here are the promises:
1. ‘Build a wall’ — and make Mexico pay for it
2. Temporarily ban Muslims from entering the United States
3. ‘Bring manufacturing (jobs) back’
4. Impose tariffs on goods made in China and Mexico
5. Renegotiate or withdraw from the North American Free Trade Agreement and Trans-Pacific Partnership
6. ‘Full repeal of Obamacare’ and replace it with a market-based alternative
7. Renegotiate the Iran deal
8. Leave Social Security as is
9. Cut taxes
10. ‘Bomb’ and/or ‘take the oil’ from ISIS
11. In his victory speech, Donald J Trump also promises a huge program to rebuild America’s infrastructure.
12. (various random rants and mutterings, promises to whomever was in the room at the time, too numerous to list here).
“Trump’s mixed record on conservatism, even at present, belies the notion that he sees eye-to-eye with the Tea Party. Actually, Trump is far more populist than conservative — which means he has appeal to blue-collar Democrats, but also that he may not reliably stand by conservative principles in office. In fact, given his repeated position switching, the safe bet is that anything he says today will changed based on convenience. That should not encourage any conservative thinking of Trump.”
— Ben Shapiro (Senior Editor-At-Large of Breitbart News)
“If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”
— Lyndon B Johnson, POTUS
“And it is a sad day in our country that you cannot walk even in your neighborhoods at night or even in the daytime because both national parties, in the last number of years, have kowtowed to every group of anarchists that have roamed the streets of San Francisco and Los Angeles and throughout the country. And now they have created themselves a Frankenstein monster, and the chickens are coming home to roost all over this country.” “Yes, they’ve looked down their nose at you and me a long time. They’ve called us rednecks — the Republicans and the Democrats. Well, we’re going to show, there sure are a lot of rednecks in this country.”
— George C Wallace, former Alabama Governor, ran for POTUS in 1968 and 1972
I hope for the best. The “insiders” have been thrown out and the “outsider” is in. America’s collective hissy fit has resulted in this. Now, look at the above promises. There is a LOT of Government spending. Tax cuts. We know this means big deficits, right? Really big. Like a trillion dollars a year. Now, if this helps our country, I’ll say I was wrong and eat crow. It’s hard to imagine that going to “Cut Taxes and Spend, Spend, Spend” policy is going to be good for much of anything—but I’m prepared to eat my hat.
Obamacare IS pretty messed up. I do appreciate them trying. Before Obamacare, our family was pretty screwed by “Pre-existing Conditions”—remember those? Obamacare, The Affordable Care Act, banned those “Pre-existing Conditions”. I hope to God they don’t come back. Our insurance rates never went down, our health coverage never got better. To blame Obama for at least trying to fix it—well, that just shows you where we stand as a country and a big part of why we will now have a President Trump.
Middle America has spoken—they were pissed—and now we have the promise of cutting taxes for the wealthy and spend, spend, spend—heading into the White House on January 20, 2017.
I have not even started with the hate speech that President Elect Trump spewed throughout his campaign. Folks lapped that dogshit up. Lapped it up with joy and glee that only righteous indignation can provide. The purity of anger.
We in the middle will be emptying our pockets for President Trump for the next four years—it’s a lot like the last 16 years—only this guy openly says racist shit and talks horrible shit about abusing women. So there you go. Have at it. I’m not a hater, so i ain’t gonna hate. We are middle class, self-employed, small business. Nobody give a rat’s ass about us. But I am not going to turn into a racist or misogynist because of it. America blew its top yesterday. Now we have to pay for it. God bless us all.
But the big white Elephant in the room is climate change—Trump had to be a denier to get elected by Middle America—so he became a denier—so what happens? Nothing, I suppose. We stop looking at Climate Change. That’s a tragedy. Probably the biggest tragedy of the election. Definitely the biggest tragedy. Not a lot of talk about this—mostly talk about the markets and money and such. Won’t matter at all when we lose a bunch of coastline amid superstorms and climate refugees are flocking to our inland areas. Won’t matter—then the Government will be spending trillions to save our asses. Hey, it may not be true—but it probably is. We can’t eat money; can’t drink oil.
He promises to repeal Roe v Wade—and that reminds me of President George W Bush in the aftermath of the New Orleans flood in 2005—folks made up a cute joke that said, “Row vs Wade—New Orleans’ Choice”.
Man, the more I write the sadder this whole thing is—Conservatives cheering a Populist who is about to blow the deficit with Government Spending. Climate Change about to be ignored. If Ignorance is bliss, happy days are here.
But probably not much of these promises will be delivered on. So we’ll keep working hard and paying for all the whatever the hell they have in store for us.
Don’t you miss Bernie? God, I miss Bernie. Bernie, I voted for you in the primary, brother. But these Tennesseans…man, they love Trump so much. I can’t figure out why, but they do.
Now – don’t get me wrong. Government programs are not something I’ve relied on in my life—I’ve been very lucky to have parents who worked hard and made a good living—I’ve been lucky to be able to work hard and earn a good living. Our household is what i would call Socially Liberal to the extreme and Fiscally Conservative on the personal side. We do believe that education and health care should be a right, not a privilege. But America isn’t there as a culture yet. We seem to think it’s ok to treat women like shit, to pay them less than men, to abuse them. We aren’t ready for racial equality. We aren’t ready for LGBT equality. We have a lot of growing up to do.
Perhaps the next four years will give us some good navel-gazing time!
I have shows booked. Take a look at ’em on my website. Lots of shows. My fabulous album with Brigitte DeMeyer, “Mockingbird Soul”, will be out in January 2017. Headed back to Europe at long last in 2017. Working on all sorts of new music and planning all sorts of tours. Producing the lovely Western band The Two Tracks coming up after Thanksgiving.
We spend election night among friends and I am thankful for my friends. I am thankful for my right to vote and right of free speech—among many other rights we Americans have—many folks all over the world do not have the freedom and rights we enjoy. I cherish our rights and freedom.
Peace and Love y’all. Use your noggins. Be nice. Get smart. And get ready to empty those pockets!
PS —- here is another list of the President Elect’s promises, a 19 point list:
1. Sell junk to Saudi Arabia, since the goods we send them are blown up anyway;
2. Repeal Obamacare “and replace it with something that benefits everybody”;
3. “Turn off that spigot” of sending money to China (in the form of debt payments) by taxing them “until they behave properly”;
4. Renegotiate our foreign trade deals;
5. Call up the head of the Ford Motor Company and tell them they are going to be taxed at 35 percent for every car coming from Mexico until they decide to nix their plant in Mexico City;
6. End President Barack Obama’s executive actions on immigration;
7. End border crossings from Mexico because some of those border-crossers are “rapists”;
8. To do that, build a “great, great wall” on the U.S.-Mexico border;
9. Have Mexico pay for that wall;
10. Don’t appoint a secretary of state who rides bikes and breaks his leg;
11. Avoid riding bikes himself;
12. Work hard on the Islamic State problem;
13. Stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons;
14. Find the General Patton or General MacArthur from within the U.S. armed forces to “make it really work” in the Middle East;
15. Rebuild the country’s infrastructure — “nobody can do that like me”;
16. Create jobs — “I will be the greatest jobs president that God ever created”;
17. Save Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security “without cuts”;
18. Protect the Second Amendment;
19. Take the brand of the United States “and make it great again.”